Getting into Residency? Here are some of my tips on how to successfully match!

Residency Statistics: Residency is very difficult and stressful time for all applicants and candidates. The book that was VERY helpful to me was the: The Successful Match 2017 by Anjana Katta, MD and Samir P Desai, MD. 

To give you my background story:

applied to Internal Medicine PGY-1 (stands for Post-Graduate Year 1) which is intern year. I applied to categorical programs, since I want to specialize in Internal Medicine. Internal Medicine residency is 3 years. As the years pass, each of the number behind PGY change. Starting second year, I will be called a "resident"... junior resident in PGY-2 year and senior in PGY-3 year. Just to give you a run-down of the number of programs I applied and the response:

  • Applied: 147 
  • Withdrew: 1 
  • Rejected: 23 
  • Invited: 20 (Scheduled: 20, Waitlisted: 1 - but ended up scheduling eventually, Declined: 0) 
This is a usual run-down for an average applicant (average scores and average CV). I applied to programs which had a pre-match position (meaning they do not participate in NRMP also known as early match according to NRMP); however, I stayed in the match process (although, it is much harder) to try to get the best program for me. Three of the interviews I had were pre-match positions, so when I ranked programs, I ranked 17. To learn more about the algorithm, visit NRMP. Nonetheless, I would say that this experience was worth it, and you can do it, too! Let me know if you have any questions! 

In order to match, I tried to make myself a competitive applicant. I ended up going back to school after graduating medical school. I also took Step 3 during my year off. In addition, I started working at an Urgent Care facility (to keep up with my clinical skills). 

When applying, I created an excel sheet that had the following information: the program, the NRMP number (which will help you when you rank programs) name and contact information of the PD, name and contact information of the residency program coordinator/secretary, as well as the program address, more statistics: such as average step scores, pre-match/match status, if they sent an interview invitation or rejection, etc. I suggest you do the same for each speciality you are applying to.

Use the ERAS tools (i.e. residency tool and others) and AMA tools (i.e. FREIDA and others). 

Please like, comment, and subscribe to the blog! Reach out if you have any questions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is PGY-2 like?

Pre-Med, Gap Years, and MCAT