Who is Doctor PDG?

 Hi, everyone. 

I wanted to make this post, so you get to see the real side of me...

Just as some thoughts from me to you --

Even before I started medical school, I feared that I would never get this far. Being a pre-med student was not easy. My personal life at the time impacted my professional and academic life. Although, I personally do not mix the two, the stresses took a mental toll on me and prevented me to make my own choices. Without getting into many details, socially I felt isolated and looking back in retrospect, I feel that I was dealing with sub-clinical depression. Now, this could have been because of my personal issues at the time or a result of my Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, which I was diagnosed after I graduated. However, once I was able to gain control of my personal life, I was able to create a better foundation for my professional life. I tried to have many experiences: volunteering and work in order to grow my C.V. and completely understand whether I wanted to be a physician or not. When I decided that I wanted to become a physician is when my medical school journey started. Since Day 1 of medical school, the match process brought on high levels of anxiety. Today, I stand in front of you as a resident physician, and I am sure as I go along, I will train more, and more letters will be added to my name. As this is a long-life commitment, I will strive to learn, not only to fulfill my interest in learning and education, but for my patients. I cannot believe I am a medical doctor and am currently training/practicing as a physician in an Internal Medicine residency. Today’s thought for all of you: never give up on your dream, keep working hard, and you can achieve it. I am the first physician on both sides of my family (maternal and paternal sides), and that, too, a female physician. As a first generation American (with a South Asian/Indian background), I know this country allows you to accomplish your goals, as long as you put in the work. I wear this white coat in the honor of my community in which I want to grow together with its members. Here is to my brothers, sisters, and elders.


- Priyanka Deepak Gianchandani, M.D., M.B.A., M.B.S., M.P.H.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is PGY-2 like?

Getting into Residency? Here are some of my tips on how to successfully match!

Pre-Med, Gap Years, and MCAT