What is PGY-3 like?

 It has been a while. 

If you are here today, then you probably are a medical resident or student who wants to know what the last year of Internal Medicine Residency is like.

Flashback to the first day of third year - July 1, 2023: I just finished PGY-2 year yesterday during the day in the ICU, and returned back to the hospital in the ICU to cover ICU nights on Saturday night 24 hours later... crazy, how just yesterday I was in my second year and in a flash, I am one of the most senior residents in our program. 

Third year was definitely the best year for me. I discussed PGY-1 and PGY-2 in previous posts. Combining them together, PGY-3 was a year that I was able to apply the knowledge I attained and create the efficiency I mastered which allowed me to spread wisdom during my last year. 

I would say I was able to manage my professional and personal life better. Of course, in any workplace, there are improvements that could happen whether at the individual level or at the system level. This year I was able to learn and hone into ways that I could create a better workplace environment for myself and others. This year not only allowed me to express the growth that I have experienced, but share the joys of being a medical resident with others. 

For those just starting their residency, rest assure you that it will get better. 

Graduating was a bitter sweet moment for me. Leaving behind the place I used to call my home to move on to the real world to only become better. I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to do my post graduate training. Now to the next chapter in my life: fellowship. Stay tuned to see what fellowship I joined. 

Follow me on Instagram @doctor_pdg to get to know me more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Med, Gap Years, and MCAT

What is PGY-2 like?

Who is Doctor PDG?