What is PGY-1?

 First year of residency, which is post-graduate training for Medical Doctors, is called Post-Graduate Year 1 (PGY-1), also known as, intern year. Each residency program have varying post-graduate years. Internal Medicine, the speciality I have chosen, is 3 years long. After internal medicine, you could choose to pursue fellowship.

Intern year, as its name, is the year you learn how hospital systems work and how you can clinical treat patient. You learn how to come up with differential diagnoses and how to determine treatment plans for patients. You are supervised by a senior resident (either a resident in there PGY-2 or PGY-3 year).

My personal experience as a PGY-1 was a mediocre experience. I say this, because having a good senior is vital in order to have a good experience. No matter how good of a resident you are, you will always be criticized. I learned to not take it personally anymore, but the first 6 months emotionally were tough for me. I highly recommend that you continue working and be the best you can be, because you will face issues like this throughout your career. As a senior, ensure that you do not treat your interns poorly. Be there to explain why you might not agree with a plan rather than just tossing out the intern's plans and differentials. PGY-1 can be quite exhausting, as you are dealing with the workload and the emotional stress. Try to take breaks and make time for wellness.

As far as the schedules, my schedule varied depending if I was in the inpatient setting or the outpatient setting. First year, I had two electives: Cardiology and Pulmonology. For the most part, I was on the floors understanding how to be a clinician in the inpatient setting.

If you have any questions, please ask me, but I highly recommending that you see my stories on Instagram to see the different areas I rotated in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is PGY-2 like?

Getting into Residency? Here are some of my tips on how to successfully match!

Pre-Med, Gap Years, and MCAT